Green Residential does not recommend having a home warranty company.
- Common problems we experience with home warranty companies include (1) long hold times to file a claim (2) home warranty contractors often contact the owner instead of the tenant to schedule an appointments even after the property manager has instructed them to contact the tenant (3) home warranty contractors find any excuse not to cover a repair (4) home warranty contractors often miss appointments (5) home warranty contractors often choose the cheapest fix instead of fixing the problem correctly which leads to recurring problems (6) it often takes extended periods of time for home warranty contractors to order parts (7) and more.
- From our experience, Green Residential believes that the use of a Home Warranty Company is a detriment to the relationship between a Landlord and Tenant and can lead to increased turnover rates and make ready costs.
- It can take between 3 – 10 business days for a home warranty company to fix HVAC problems. The delays are usually a result of a warranty company going to the home within 2-3 business days to diagnose the issue and then having to order additional parts to fix the HVAC system which adds additional delays. We have also experienced these types of delays with other repairs.
- These delays frustrate the tenant and can lead to tenant’s not wanting to renew a lease if they feel significant issues are not going to be addressed in a timely manner.
- Green Residential recommends that if you do purchase a Home Warranty for your rental property, you should use a separate contractor to handle time sensitive issues such as HVAC break downs and other repairs that the warranty company is not able to address in a timely manner.
- A happy tenant can save you money in the long run. You may think you are saving money by always using the home warranty company, but if the tenant does not renew their lease because of home warranty company delays, you will end up spending more money to make your rental property ready to rent again as well as additional leasing and vacancy costs.
- Green Residential has preferred relationships with a wide range of vendors. Our AC Techs are usually able to be at the home within 24 hours of the repair request and are usually able to resolve the issues in that same time frame, including picking up replacement parts or switching out an entire HVAC system.
- If you have any questions about Property Management or our experience with Home Warranty companies, do not hesitate to contact Green Residential today.